The heat of the summer brings endless fun and excitement: tons of barbecues, pool parties, beach days, park visits, hikes, and anything else that you can squeeze into the extended hours of daylight. With all these adventures who has time to cook lengthy recipes? Instead, I prefer to fill my refrigerator with ready made salads that are easy to grab and go. Lentil Salad will always be a personal favorite. Lentils range between all colors of the spectrum, and are sold in many different forms, however, a couple characteristics remain consistent: They’re delicious, and loaded with essential nutrients, including tons of fiber and protein. This recipe is fairly quick, very easy, makes a large portion to split up over a few days, and will be a crowd pleaser for any occasion.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1 pound of steamed(and cooled) lentils
- I prefer to buy the ready to eat steamed from Trader Joe’s. Why not cut the time in half when you can?
- 1-2 Zucchini, chopped into small cubes, roasted or sauteed, and cooled
- 1/2 Shallot, minced
- 2 Green Onions, finely chopped
- 2-3 Baby Bell Peppers, finely chopped
- Handful of Cherry Tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 Hot House Cucumber, chopped into small cubes
- 2 Tbsp. Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Handful of Fresh Arugula
- 5 Heaping Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1-1/2 Tablespoon Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cut the Zucchini into small cubes, add a scant tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to a saute pan and cook on high heat until soft and slightly browned. Once cooked, turn pan into a bowl and place bowl in fridge to cool.
- Finely mince the 1/2 shallot and add to a large bowl. In that bowl add remaining Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, and salt and pepper. Briskly whisk until the mixture is a vineagrette. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Add all ingredients except Arugula to the bowl with dressing, toss, and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes before enjoying.
- Just before serving add as much or as little Arugula as you’d like to your serving.
- Package up all remaining lentil salad in individual mason jars fitted with a lid, or tupperware and enjoy for up to 4 or 5 days.