SOUP SEASON!!! There’s nothing like it- Cozying up with a comfortable blanket, binge watching your favorite series, all while enjoying a warm bowl of whatever soup you conjured up that evening. It’s by far my favorite time of year. I much prefer the remedies of cold weather to those of warmer temperatures. Today I was really fancying a creamy cup of Broccoli and Cheddar Soup. I can never get enough Broccoli… and when you have the added element of cheese, which makes any dish better already, you really can’t go wrong. I decided to spice things up with a little Chipotle and Paprika for an extra kick.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- 2-1/2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Small White Onion, finely diced
- 3 Medium Carrots, finely diced
- 1 Tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 3-1/2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 4 Cups Broccoli Florets
- 1-1/2 Cups Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Grated
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Tsp. Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp. Chipotle Powder
- In a large sauce pot(preferably cast iron) heat Olive Oil and saute Onions, Carrots, and Garlic until fragrant and slightly browned.
- Add All Purpose Flour and stir into ingredients until Flour thickens the ingredients and doesn’t remain. (When you add Flour to ingredients or liquid you are essentially forming a Roux, which thickens a sauce or soup marvelously.)
- At this point add Chicken Stock, Milk, and seasoning, and reduce to a slow simmer continually stirring to avoid the dairy sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the soup is a really starting to thicken, add the Sharp Cheddar, taste, and adjust seasoning where necessary.
I don’t think anything really beats some crumbled up Saltines on top of this decadent bowl of soup.