Everyone needs a good recipe that they can make with five fresh ingredients or less. I have a few up my sleeve that I’ve never really bothered to record as I throw them together, enjoy, and don’t think much about it otherwise. A very dear friend of mine, and one of my favorite humans ever, Catherine, recently reached out and asked if I could send her my Broccoli Farro Soup Recipe. (Catherine is just getting into cooking and has challenged herself to cooking one new recipe every week- I’m so proud) Upon asking me, it took me a few moments to recall exactly what recipe she was referring to. Catherine and I used to live together in our younger years- you all know what years are in reference here: that time in one’s life where you don’t have much money, and fresh ingredients aren’t always your first priority when it comes to your food choices. This recipe was a go to considering it didn’t take much, and made us feel infinitely healthier than the 12-pack of Maruchan Chicken Flavored Ramen for $3.00 we depended on.
Here it is, guys. A healthy soup using only 5 FRESH ingredients and a few extra bits that everyone should have in their pantry. This ones for you, Cat.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 Medium Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 Large Broccoli Crown, separated and chopped
- 1 medium Zucchini, chopped
- 6-8 Baby Yellow Potatoes
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock(Home made is preferred)
- Heaping 1/4 Cup Farro
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a heavy Sauce pot, heat Olive oil and saute Onions until fragrant.
- Once onions soften add potatoes, zucchini, and broccoli. Cook until all ingredients are slightly charred.
- Add Chicken Stock, Farro, Garlic Powder, Salt & Pepper.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil, reduce, and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning where necessary.
- Bon Appetite!